Spaghetti with Italian “Meatballs”
These little TVP nuggets are so chewy and addicting, you just might want to make a double batch. If you can’t find beef-flavored bouillon, just use what you’ve got. Don’t be tempted to add extra water to the TVP, as it needs to be a little dry for this recipe.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ vegetarian beef-flavored bouillon cube
- ⅔ cup hot water
- ⅔ cup TVP
- Egg replacer for 2 eggs
- ½ medium onion, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. ground sage
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 package (16 oz.) spaghetti, cooked
- Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water, and pour over TVP to reconstitute. Allow to sit for 6–7 minutes. Gently press to remove any excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine the TVP, egg replacer, onion, ketchup, garlic powder, basil, parsley, sage, and salt until well mixed.
- Add bread crumbs and combine well, then add flour, a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well to combine until mixture is sticky and thick.
- Using lightly floured hands, shape into balls 1½–2 " thick.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pan fry “meatballs," rolling them around in the pan to maintain the shape, until golden brown on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add marinara sauce, heating thoroughly. Serve over cooked spaghetti.