Spaghetti with Mussels for Two
When buying fresh mussels, always make sure they are either closed or close when tapped. If not, discard them, as this means they are dead and dangerous to eat.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ lb. spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 lb. fresh mussels, washed and debearded
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper. Sauté for about 1 minute, then add the wine. Increase heat to high and cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the marinara and mussels. Keep the heat on high, and cover the pot. Check the pot after about 3 minutes. The mussels are done when 95 percent of them have opened. Turn off the heat at this point and remove any unopened mussels. Keep warm.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain well and toss with the mussel sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Divide into 2 bowls and serve