Spaghetti with Puttanesca Sauce
The tanginess of capers, the piquancy of olives, and the intense saltiness of anchovies make puttanesca sauce earthy and complex.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 anchovy fillets, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, with juice, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 12 good-quality black cured olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 lb. cooked spaghetti
- In a large saucepan cook the anchovies in the oil over low heat until they have nearly melted. Add the garlic and cook briefly, being careful not to brown it. Add the tomatoes and raise the heat to bring them to a boil.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes. The capers, olives, parsley, and oregano, which should be added close to serving time, should only be heated through. Adjust the seasonings and serve hot over spaghetti.