Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 dozen small littleneck clams, well scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chopped basil
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. cooked spaghetti
- Place the clams and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Cover and steam until the clams open, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Pour the liquid through a strainer lined with a paper towel to catch any sand. Reserve the cooking broth.
- Cook the garlic in 1⁄4 cup olive oil in a large saucepan until softened. Stir in the basil. Pour in the wine and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and the paste. Stir well to combine, then add 1⁄2 cup of the clam liquid. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the clams, heat through quickly, being careful not to overcook. Remove the pan from the heat. Add spaghetti to the pan and toss well.