Spaghetti with Zucchini
The key word here is fresh. Tomato sauce is often thought of as an all-day affair, but it doesnʼt have to be so. In fact, once you experience the fresh flavor of this tomato sauce, you may prefer it to all-day cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cups sliced fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. basil
- 1⁄4 tsp. oregano
- 8 oz. uncooked spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet prepared with nonstick spray. Roast zucchini for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender and golden brown; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except spaghetti and zucchini. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain. Serve immediately with generous helpings of sauce and roasted zucchini.