Serve these as an appetizer or as a main course with a tossed salad.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 scallions, white and 1" of green parts diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 lbs. roughly chopped baby spinach
- 1½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 oz. (2 ¼ cups) crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ lb. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 package (16 oz.) of phyllo pastry sheets
- ¼ cup minced fresh oregano
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- Add the oil and yellow and green onions to a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 1 more minute, or until the onions are transparent. Stir in the garlic and spinach; cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool, and then stir in the lemon juice, eggs, feta, Parmesan, coriander, nutmeg, oregano and chives.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush 2 baking sheets with some of the melted butter. Unroll the phyllo dough; prevent the dough from drying out and becoming brittle by keeping it covered with a damp towel until you are ready to work with it. Lay out a piece of the dough flat on a work surface; brush it with melted butter. Repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo, stacking them on top of each other. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the sheets lengthwise into thirds to form 2½" strips. Repeat with all the remaining sheets of dough.
- Put 1 heaping teaspoon of the spinach filling near 1 corner of each layered phyllo strip. Fold the end at an angle over the filling to form a triangle and continue to fold along the strip until you reach the end, in a manner similar to folding up a flag. Brush the top of the resulting triangle packet with butter. Place each triangle on one of the prepared baking sheets; cover while preparing the remaining pastries. Repeat until all the filling and phyllo strips are used up. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Serve hot, warm, or cold.