Spanakotyropita (Spinach and Cheese Pie)
Dandelion greens can be added to this recipe for a variation on the flavor.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach
- ½ cup minced fresh dill
- ½ cup chopped fennel leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped sage leaves
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 large leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 package (16 oz.) phyllo dough
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash spinach well; chop coarsely and set aside to drain well. Wash, drain, chop, and combine dill and fennel in mixing bowl.
- In large frying pan, sauté leeks and scallions in 2 tablespoons olive oil until soft; set aside in mixing bowl 10 minutes to cool. Add dill, fennel, sage, feta, eggs, salt, and pepper; mix thoroughly.
- Spread phyllo sheet on a work surface. Lightly brush entirely with olive oil; spread line of cheese and vegetable mix along length of one edge. Roll lengthwise into long cigar shape with filling inside. Curl cigar-shaped package into spiral; place on lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Bake 45 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot or cold.