Spanish Fried Potatoes with Herbed Aioli
This is a necessity for a tapas party, as it is on almost every tapas bar and café menu.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. russet potatoes
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup garlic aioli
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Blot potatoes dry with a paper towel. Heat the olive oil in a deep, heavy-bottom pot or a deep fryer to 275°F. Check with a candy thermometer for correct temperature.
- Carefully lower the potato chunks into the olive oil with a slotted spoon and poach them for about 10 minutes. This is to precook them, so they shouldn’t turn golden in color yet. Drain the poached potatoes on paper towels and set aside.
- Raise the temperature of the olive oil to 350°F. Carefully lower the poached potatoes into the olive oil again and fry them until they are crisp and golden brown. Drain the potatoes and sprinkle them with salt.
- Mix the parsley and chives into the aioli and serve with the potatoes.