This is an excellent side with a great steak. It can be made in advance and then reheated just before serving time.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup white rice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 10 large green Spanish olives
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil and add the salt and the rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, and hot peppers. Sauté over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in roasted pepper, tomatoes, lemon zest, olives, and black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to the hot rice and serve.