This is an excellent side with a great steak. It can be made in advance and then reheated just before serving time.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 10 large green Spanish olives
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil and add the salt and the rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, and hot peppers. Sauté over low heat for 8–10 minutes. Stir in roasted pepper, tomatoes, lemon zest, olives, and black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to the hot rice and serve.