Spanish Tortilla with Mushrooms and Spinach
This special-occasion layered vegetable dish appropriate for Passover is also vegetarian. It’s worth the extra effort—it’s not only impressive, but delicious.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and sliced 1⁄8-inch thick
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. baby spinach
- 8 oz. Manchego cheese
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh dill, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and cover with water. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook until all the mushrooms’ liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are brown on all sides. Season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and add the sliced onions. Sauté 5 minutes until onions are softened and have released their liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the onions slowly, stirring frequently until uniformly brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Sauté the spinach in 1 tablespoon oil and season with 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt. Work in batches if spinach does not fit in the pan at once.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain potato slices and pat dry.
- Beat the eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat. Turn off the heat. Carefully arrange the potato slices around the sides of the pan in a full circle, overlapping each slice by about 1⁄3 inch. Place the second layer of potato slices over the bend of the pan. Repeat layered circles of potatoes around the pan until the whole pan is covered with circles of potatoes. Drizzle the remaining oil over the top of the sliced potatoes.
- Arrange the spinach evenly over the bottom. Press down on the spinach to help the potatoes form into the corners. Arrange half the cheese over the spinach, followed by the mushrooms and dill. Add the remaining cheese and onions.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture over the layered vegetables, allowing it to soak in and not overflow. Carefully move the pan to the oven. Cook for about 45 minutes, or until the tortilla’s edges are slightly puffy and the middle feels set.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes. Slowly run a small paring knife around the edge of the pan in the same direction you arranged the potatoes to help loosen any stuck bits. Cover the pan with a serving plate. Carefully invert the pan onto the plate.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.