This hummus is made in a pressure cooker with the traditional flavors of chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil. Make your own flavored hummus by adding roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, or sun-dried tomatoes to this basic recipe.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into sticks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- In a pressure cooker, add chickpeas and 4 cups water. Lock the lid into place; bring to high pressure for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and quick-release the pressure. Drain the water, rinse the beans, and add to the pressure cooker again with the remaining 4 cups water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Stir in a tablespoon olive oil. Lock the lid into place; bring to high pressure and maintain for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Drain beans.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the chickpeas, the remaining 1⁄4 cup olive oil, cumin, pepper, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and tahini. Blend until creamy.
- Transfer to serving dishes and serve chilled or at room temperature with cut vegetables.