Spiced Apple Crumb Pie
This is a cross between an apple pie and a spiced apple crisp.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed, divided
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 deep-dish pie shell (9 inches), baked
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss apples with lemon juice in a large bowl. Add 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar and 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, along with melted butter, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to blend ingredients; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining flour, granulated sugar, and brown sugar, along with cold butter, rolled oats, and pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or fork.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared pie pastry. Sprinkle evenly with crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then check for browning. Make a foil ring to set on the crust edge to keep it from browning further or use a pie shield ring. Continue baking for about 15 minutes longer until apples are tender. Cool before cutting.