Spiced Apple Muffins
The ingredient list is long, and you’ll need a few bowls, but these lovely, fragrant muffins come together quickly. The hardest part will be waiting for them to cool before eating!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 11 Tbsp. melted butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated apples
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup toasted and chopped hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Set oven to 350°F. Fill a standard-sized muffin pan with paper liners.
- For the topping, in small bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, oatmeal, and 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon and mix well. Add 3 tablespoons butter and mix until crumbly.
- In another small bowl, toss grated apples with lemon juice and sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining melted butter, 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Add the grated apples and toasted hazelnuts and mix until just combined. Spoon into prepared muffin liners and sprinkle with oatmeal topping mixture.
- Bake for 22 to 28 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.