Spiced Fresh Tomato Sauce
This sauce can be served over polenta, baked into lasagna, or poured over cooked pasta and served with a little Parmesan cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. very ripe tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. chopped basil
- Peel and seed tomatoes, and chop them with a knife or food processor. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat about 10 seconds. Add the tomatoes, thyme, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook uncovered over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes, until tomatoes are soft and sauce is thick. Reduce heat toward end of cooking time.
- Discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Just before serving sauce, stir in basil. Serve hot or cold.