Makes: 40Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, cream together the shortening, brown sugar, molasses, and egg until fluffy. In another bowl, sift together the sifted flour, baking soda, and all the spices. Stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until well mixed.
- Form into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet on a rack, then remove to the rack to cool.