Spiced Poached Pears
To change the flavor of this dish to more of a sweeter, not-so-spicy combination, remove the cloves and peppercorns, and replace them with fresh vanilla beans.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 pieces fresh gingerroot cut in half
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 Anjou pears
- Boil enough water in a medium pan to just cover the pears.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, ginger, peppercorns, honey, and cloves to the boiling water. Let the spices boil for 3 minutes.
- Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While the spices are simmering, peel the pears, leaving the stem on. Core the pears from the bottom.
- Place the pears in the simmering water. Increase the heat to medium. Cook the pears covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pears from the heat and allow them to cool down for 10 minutes. Serve the pears individually with some of the juices.