Spiced Pumpkin Bread
This excellent quick bread has a wonderful silky texture, with a little kick from the cayenne. For a nice twist, substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup plus 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside. In large bowl, combine butter with ½ cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, buttermilk, and pumpkin.
- In medium bowl, combine ½ teaspoon cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, salt, flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and stir with wire whisk to blend. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. In small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon, mix well, and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350°F for 40–50 minutes until loaf is dark golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.