Spiced Pumpkin Bread
This excellent quick bread has a wonderful silky texture, with a little kick from the cayenne. For a nice twist, substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside. In large bowl, combine butter with 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, buttermilk, and pumpkin.
- In medium bowl, combine 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, salt, flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and stir with wire whisk to blend. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. In small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons sugar and 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, mix well, and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350°F for 40 to 50 minutes until loaf is dark golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.