Spiced-Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Spicy, moist, and irresistible, these whoopie pies are packed with vitamin-rich pumpkin and a sweet cream-cheese filling. A few notes about the recipe. 1) Yes! You really do use that much spice, so don’t skimp. 2) Save yourself hassle or heartache and line your baking sheets with parchment. 3) Make sure you’ve eaten before making these; otherwise, you’ll find yourself going overboard. Enjoy!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chilled pumpkin purée
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp. low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together brown sugar and oil. Add pumpkin and stir until combined. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix until well combined. Gradually add flour mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Use a small retractable ice-cream scoop and drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets about 1" apart. Transfer to oven and bake on middle rack 15 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and let cool completely on pan, roughly 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, sift powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add butter and cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add milk and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- When cookies have cooled completely, pipe or spread a large dollop of filling on the flat side of one of the cookies. Sandwich with another cookie and press down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edges. Transfer to a plate or cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Serve immediately or cover cookies with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days.