Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole
This delicious casserole is the perfect complement to a holiday ham or roast turkey.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 or 5 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Scrub sweet potatoes and place in a large stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until tender. Set aside to let sweet potatoes cool slightly.
- Slip sweet potatoes out of the skins and place in a medium bowl. If you have a ricer, cut them into smaller pieces and put them through the ricer, then mash until smooth. If you don’t have a ricer, just mash with a potato masher. Add beaten eggs, butter, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper. Whisk or beat until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 7-by-11-inch baking dish.
- Turn sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle pecans and remaining brown sugar over the top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until puffy and hot. Serve hot.