Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole
This delicious casserole is the perfect complement to a holiday ham or roast turkey.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 or 5 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Scrub sweet potatoes and place in a large stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until tender. Set aside to let sweet potatoes cool slightly.
- Slip sweet potatoes out of the skins and place in a medium bowl. If you have a ricer, cut them into smaller pieces and put them through the ricer, then mash until smooth. If you don’t have a ricer, just mash with a potato masher. Add beaten eggs, butter, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper. Whisk or beat until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 7" × 11" baking dish.
- Turn sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle pecans and remaining brown sugar over the top. Bake for 35–45 minutes or until puffy and hot. Serve hot.