This classic Italian dish is not for the faint of heart. Omit chili pepper for a milder version..
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red serrano pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 package (16 oz.) bucatini or spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble, and set aside.
- Add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions, chili pepper, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until blended; add reserved bacon.
- When water comes to a boil, cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1⁄2 cup cooking water. Add cooking water to saucepan to help thin the sauce. Add pasta and toss over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.