Spicy Beef and Cabbage
Cabbage is delicious when lightly cooked. It adds color, crunch, and fiber to this simple dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ lb. top round beef steak
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger root
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (10 oz.) shredded cabbage
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- Trim excess fat from steak and cut into ⅛" × 3" strips against the grain. In a small bowl, combine orange juice, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch, and pepper and mix well; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add ginger root and onion; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes until onion is crisp-tender. Add beef and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Remove beef and onion from skillet with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add cabbage, carrots, and green onion to skillet; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir orange juice mixture and add to skillet along with beef. Stir-fry until sauce thickens slightly and beef and vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.