Spicy Beef Chili
This chili is made with ground beef and beans, along with a delicious combination of vegetables and spicy seasonings. Serve chili with crackers or freshly baked cornbread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, quartered, and sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef round or sirloin
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced mild green chilies
- 2 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. salt
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and ground beef. Sauté until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies, jalapeño, chili powder, salt, cayenne, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours. Add water as needed to keep from sticking.
- Add beans to chili and heat through.