Spicy Cheese Soup
Use a quality aged Cheddar for a rich, creamy taste. Using a sharp Cheddar will increase the intensity of this dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan and sauté the onion and celery until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the flour, cayenne pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire and stir to combine.
- Add the milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, add the cheese, and stir occasionally just until the cheese is melted. Purée in a food processor or use an immersion blender.
- Add seasoned salt and pepper. To serve, ladle hot soup into small decorative cups and sprinkle with paprika.