Spicy Cheese Straws
A Southern favorite, these cheese straws are spicy and delicious. Roll them into straw shapes or cut into narrow strips and gently turn to make cheese twists.
Serves: 30Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 14 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut butter, cheese, and Worcestershire sauce into flour mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Working with a small amount of dough at a time, roll into a long tube shape about the width of a straw and cut into desired lengths. Or, roll out dough on a floured surface to a thickness of about ⅛"–¼". Cut into strips and gently twist.
- Arrange straws or twists on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until straws are crisp and just lightly browned.
- Remove straws and let cool.