Spicy Cheese Twists
These twists are rich and crisp, the perfect companion to a bowl of soup. If you make extra dough and freeze it, you can always roll some twists out at the last minute.
Makes: 32Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 48 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 oz. unsalted butter
- 6 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 2 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. Splenda
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. red hot pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1½ cups corn flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- Place all ingredients but the flour in a food processor and pulse. Slowly add the flour, a half-cup at a time, and pulse until dough is just mixed and holding together. Divide dough in half. Shape into two oblong loaves and wrap tightly in plastic.
- Refrigerate loaves for 60 minutes. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll one loaf of dough to 12" x 16" and ⅛" thickness.
- Cut into 16 strips. Gently twist them and place them on the parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 6 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Let cool. Twists should be very dry and crunchy. Repeat for the second loaf.