Spicy Cold Pears
Fruit, especially when flavored with spices and citrus, makes a wonderful fat-free dessert.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large pears, peeled and cored
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- Cut pears in long spears. In a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Add pears and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer until pears are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Chill pears in liquid until very cold, about 4 hours. Serve pears with the liquid.