Spicy Crab Cakes
These delicious crab cakes can be served as a main dish or first course. Serve them with lemon wedges and rémoulade or cocktail sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. lump crabmeat
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Drain crabmeat and break up slightly, discarding any pieces of shell or cartilage. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg; stir in mayonnaise, 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, Old Bay Seasoning, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce. Gently fold crabmeat into mixture until well combined.
- With your hands, shape mixture into patties, flattening slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Gently roll or press crab cakes into remaining 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs. Fry patties for about 3 minutes on each side or until nicely browned. Drain on paper towels.