Spicy Egg-and-Cheese-Stuffed Tomatoes
Save to My Recipes
This is a fine way to use up the end-of-summer tomatoes in your garden.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutes
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup grated Monterey jack or Cheddar cheese
- 8 tsp. gluten-free cornbread crumbs
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes, core, and using a melon baller, scoop out seeds and pulp. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, black pepper, cayenne, cumin, and oregano together. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Spoon the butter and garlic mixture into the tomatoes. Sprinkle half the spice mixture on the insides of the tomatoes.
- Break an egg into each tomato. Sprinkle with the rest of the spice mixture. Loosely spoon the cheese over the eggs, then sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornbread crumbs over each tomato. Bake for 20 minutes. The tomatoes should still be firm, the eggs soft, the cheese melted, and the bread crumbs browned.