Spicy Fancy Fajitas
A juicy steak recipe with mango salsa for a Cinco de Mayo party! The tenderness of the meat combined with spicy poblanos, sweet onions and bell peppers make this an unforgettable dish.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium poblanos
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 avocados, peeled and seeded
- 4 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 pounds flat iron steak
- 8 teaspoons sour cream
- 8 Kroger® Flour Tortillas (8-inch)
- Turn on grill on medium-high. Place poblanos carefully turning them from time to time, until skin is blistered and charred. Place in plastic bag to loosen skin. Let stand about 6 to 9 minutes.
- In sink, peel poblanos by running hands down the chile under running cold water. Make a vertical slit on one side of the roasted peeled chile open down to remove seeds, veins and stem. Place in cold ice water before slicing. Note: This step can also be done directly and carefully on a gas stove top or on a skillet over medium high heat pressing down the chile to the skillet with tongs. Place in a plastic bag and clean chiles as described above. Remove from water after 6 minutes and pat dry. Slice poblanos. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp tender; stir frequently. Add red bell pepper, cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp tender; stir occasionally. Add poblanos, cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer; stir constantly. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- In bowl, to make guacamole, mash avocados with fork. Add 1 teaspoon lime juice and mix well. Mix in 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped tomato and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Mix well adding a dash of salt and pepper to taste, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in refrigerator.
- In another bowl, mix mangoes, jalapeño, 2 tablespoons red onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro and 1 teaspoon lime juice. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat grill on medium. Brush steak with canola oil. Sprinkle steak with a dash of salt and pepper on both sides. Place steak on grill; cover grill. Cook covered for about 8 to 12 minutes turning once. Cook until slightly pink in center or until a thermometer in center reads 160°F. (Note: If using a grill pan, heat grill pan on medium high heat. Place steak with canola oil, salt and pepper on grill pan, lower heat to medium. Cook covered for 8 to 12 minutes or until thermometer in center reads 160°F.) Let stand 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices. Keep warm while heating tortillas.
- Heat tortillas slightly on grill or stove top for 10 to 20 seconds, turning once. Serve with sliced flat iron steak and top with poblano vegetable sautéed mix, guacamole, mango salsa and sour cream.