Spicy Fried Eggplant Strips
Save to My Recipes
Fried eggplant is a delicious alternative to French fries or roasted potatoes.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. Creole seasoning
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ⅔ cup whole milk, or more as needed
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- Vegetable oil
- Peel eggplant and cut into strips ½" in width and 3" in length. Place eggplant strips in a medium bowl; cover with water and sprinkle with salt. Let eggplant strips soak for 1 hour. Drain; pat dry with paper towels.
- In another medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, Creole seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Add beaten eggs, milk, and canola oil; blend until smooth. The batter should be thin enough to drip a bit but thick enough to coat eggplant. Add a little more milk if too thick or more flour if too thin.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer. Dip eggplant strips in batter; let excess batter drip back into the bowl. Fry eggplant in small batches in hot oil for 3 minutes, turning to cook both sides, until golden brown.