Spicy Fried Tofu with Vegetables
You can make this dish with ground chicken or pork for your meat-eating friends or you can add other vegetables like sliced mushrooms, broccoli, or strips of bell peppers.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) extra-firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled minced
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Drain tofu block, wrap in three layers of paper towels, and gently press the tofu to drain any excess liquid. Repeat this process three times. Unwrap and cut block into 1⁄2-inch slices. Place on paper towels and pat dry. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the tofu slices, leaving half an inch between each slice. Fry until golden brown and crisp on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from the oil to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add snow peas, carrots, celery, and onion. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender. Add oyster sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper and toss well to coat. Add the tofu and turn to coat the pieces in the sauce. Serve hot.