Spicy Mussel Stew
Variations of mussel stew are popular in many cuisines throughout the world. We make this version with Mediterranean flavors.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 cups fish stock
- 2 lbs. fresh mussels, cleaned
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots to the pan and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer cooked shallots to a large (6½-quart) slow cooker. Add tomatoes, oregano, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and stock to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Increase heat to high. Place mussels in the slow cooker, cover, and allow to cook for 30 minutes more, until the mussels open up.
- Throw away any mussels that donʼt open. Use a ladle to transfer the stew to bowls. Serve immediately.