Spicy Okra and Tomatoes
Generally, people either love okra or hate it—thereʼs almost no in between. Native to Africa and used in Southern American cooking, okra pods add unique color and texture to the dinner table. Look for pods that are uniform in color, without any dark or soft spots.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. okra, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tsp. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Thai birdʼs eye chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the okra, reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer for about 3–4 minutes. Drain okra and set aside.
- Over high heat, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, ginger, tomatoes, and chilies and sauté until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the garlic, and sauté until garlic is soft, another 3–4 minutes.
- Add the okra, salt, and pepper and cook until okra is just heated through, about 2–3 minutes.