Spicy Pineapple Lime Chicken with Pita Nachos
Pair a rotisserie chicken with this sweet and spicy fresh pineapple, lime and jalapeño puree – then add in a little salsa and guacamole – to make this flavorful reinterpretation of nachos even easier.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onions
- 4 tablespoons jalapeño, diced, divided
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 cup pineapple, diced, plus more for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 bag pita chips
- 1 container (14 oz.) guacamole
- 1⁄2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 container (14 oz.) red salsa
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- In a medium, non-reactive saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fresh pineapple and onions. Cook until edges start to turn brown and pineapple begins to caramelize, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoon of jalapeño, brown sugar, pineapple juice and lime juice. Simmer over medium to low heat for 15 minutes, until all ingredients are soft. Puree until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover the bottom of a 13x10" (or similar) baking sheet with a layer of pita chips. Toss chicken in 1/2 cup of the spicy pineapple lime sauce. Top pita chips with chicken, fresh pineapple and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove dish from oven. Add spoonfuls of guacamole, yogurt and salsa on the nachos. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Return to oven for another 5-7 minutes, until the second layer of cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro, scallions and jalapeños. Serve with extra guacamole, salsa and limes on the side.