Spicy Quinoa Bean Burgers
Even meat lovers will love these burgers! The patties can be made ahead of time and then refrigerated until ready to cook. Serve on top of rice or sautéed spinach and top with avocado and tomato slices. You can also eat these burgers with a wheat-free bun, in a wheat-free wrap or wrap each one in a giant lettuce leaf.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ¾ cup cornmeal or wheat-free bread crumbs
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- ¼ cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. wheat-free hot sauce
- 1 egg
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the quinoa and broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, until all the broth is absorbed.
- Place the beans and spinach in blender or food processor and process for 1 minute, allowing some pieces of whole beans to remain.
- Place the quinoa in a medium-sized bowl. Add the beans/spinach mixture, cornmeal, bell pepper, corn, mushrooms, shallot, garlic, seasonings, cilantro, hot sauce, egg, and lime juice. Thoroughly mix with your hands to combine. If you have time, sit bowl in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This allows for easier forming of the patties.
- Form the quinoa/bean mixture into 6 patties. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and place patties on top. Bake for 30 minutes, making sure to turn them over after first 15 minutes.