Spicy Red Beans and Rice
Red beans and rice is a New Orleans specialty. This combination makes an inexpensive and satisfying dinner.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups canned red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. minced parsley
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and habanero until softened, about 8 minutes. Add beans, parsley, cayenne pepper, water, and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in rice.