Spicy Refrigerator Dill Pickles
These crunchy little bites pack a wallop of dill flavor and finish with a little bit of heat.
Makes: 1 quartHands-on: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 1 quart
- 1 lb. pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 small red Fresno hot pepper, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. dill seeds
- Clean 2 jars (1 pint) and lids thoroughly. Pack jars with cucumber slices, dill and hot pepper slices, leaving at least 1" at the top.
- Heat water, vinegar, and salt over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Crush celery seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns, and dill seeds with a mortar and pestle and add to the brine. Bring brine to a boil. Once salt is completely dissolved, remove it from the heat.
- Pour brine into the jars, being sure to cover cucumbers completely. Cover with a cloth or cheesecloth and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover with lids and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Keeps for 4-6 weeks.