Spicy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole can be tailor made to suit your tastes! For instance, substitute ground beef for the sausage, and add a layer of bacon or ham. Switch the Cheddar cheese for pepper jack, and add a tomato or broccoli layer. The possibilities are endless.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb. ground sausage, hot
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage and onion 8 to 10 minutes until the sausage is fully cooked. Drain and remove from heat.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch slices and layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer the meat on top of the bread, followed by half the cheese. In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the casserole layers; top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 30 to 45 until the egg is fully cooked and a knife inserted in the dish’s middle comes out clean. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for five minutes before serving.