Spicy Shrimp Rice (Jhinge Ki Biryani)
Try this recipe with the seafood of your choice. Garnish with minced cilantro.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- Table salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
- Rinse the rice at least 3 to 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
- In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the black mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, add the curry leaves and shrimp; sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut, red chili and turmeric powder, and salt; cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well; sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the water and stir for 1 minute. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Loosely cover with a lid and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
- Cover tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.