Spicy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
Save to My Recipes
This smoky, spicy soup is so easy to make. Your family will ask for it again and again.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 7 hours
- 4 corn tortillas (6"), cut into ¼" strips
- ½ tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies, drained
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups cubed cooked boneless chicken breast
- Heat oil in a shallow skillet. Add the tortilla strips and cook, turning once, until they are crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel–lined plates. Blot dry and set aside.
- Place cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, tomatoes, broth, garlic, onion, chilies, and peppers in a 4–6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add the corn and cooked chicken. Cover and cook for an additional 45 minutes. Divide tortilla strips evenly among the bowls of soup before serving.