Spicy Southern Jambalaya
Make this spicy and smoky Southern rice dish a main meal by adding in some browned mock sausage or sautéed tofu.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- In a large skillet or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery until almost soft, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes, broth, rice, bay leaf, paprika, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder. Cover, bring to a low simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 20 minutes until rice is done, stirring occasionally.
- Add hot sauce and cook 3 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.