Spicy Sweet Cucumber Salad
Japanese cucumber salad is cool and refreshing, but with a bit of spice. Enjoy it as a healthy afternoon snack, or as a fresh accompaniment to take-out.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- In a large shallow container or baking sheet, spread the cucumbers in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit at least 10 minutes. Drain any excess water from the cucumbers.
- Whisk together the rice wine vinegar, sugar, oil, and red pepper flakes. Pour dressing over the cucumbers, add onions, and toss gently.
- Allow to sit at least 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to mingle.