Spicy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
A little spicy and a little sweet! This exotic soup is surprisingly easy to make.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork; place directly onto the oven rack. Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch drips; bake 45 minutes, or until potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven, and cool.
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and ginger; sauté 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add curry paste; sauté another minute, then whisk in coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to low heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Add to the soup pot; cook, covered, for 5 more minutes. Carefully puree the sweet potato mixture using an immersion blender.
- Add lemon juice and salt; stir to mix. Serve hot, topped with cilantro.