Spicy Turkey Chili
If you like your chili extra spicy, do not remove the seeds from the jalapeño peppers.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground summer savory
- 1 tsp. ground marjoram
- 1½ lbs. ground turkey
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- 1 can (15 oz.) red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a soup pot, heat the oil. Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin, savory, and marjoram and cook for half a minute. Add the turkey, sautéing until browned slightly.
- Pour in the broth and stir in the barley. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans, hot sauce, salt, and pepper; simmer for another 10 minutes. Top with jalapeño slices and cilantro and serve.