Spinach and Caramelized Onion Dip
Warm, creamy and cheesy, this Spinach and Caramelized Onion Dip will have your guests flocking to the table for more!
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half or milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to sweat, about 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to turn deep brown, about 25 minutes.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water to deglaze the pan and decrease the heat again to medium-low. Continue cooking until onions are deep brown in color and caramelized, about 20 more minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add the spinach to a pot and cover it. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the spinach is cooked, add the remaining ingredients (except for ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese) to the saucepan. Stir and heat until it's all well-combined, about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer the hot dip to a small oven-safe casserole dish and sprinkle it with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cheese is golden-brown and the dip is bubbly. Serve with potato chips, and enjoy.