Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna
A creamy spinach and artichoke dip is the inspiration for this fun and tasty lasagna!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 oz. shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (8 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts (not marinated or packed in oil), drained and chopped
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- ½ cup water
- 8 oz. part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 5 minutes, or until the flour is cooked and smells slightly nutty, but is not yet brown. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the milk a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition until there are no lumps. Bring to a boil to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses. Squeeze the extra water out of the spinach and fold it into the cheese sauce. Add the artichokes, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" baking dish. Spread 1 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the dish and cover with a single layer of 3 noodles. Repeat with another cup of sauce and noodles. Repeat the process until you have 4 layers of noodles. Mix the water with the remaining sauce and pour over the top of the lasagna.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the lasagna and spread the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.