If you have the time and energy to boil and clean fresh artichokes, by all means do so. Otherwise, frozen or canned artichoke bottoms will work just fine for this pizza.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 lbs. pizza dough
- 2 lbs. spinach leaves, stemmed and washed
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cooked artichokes
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Sauté onions 10 minutes, or until golden. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook 20 minutes more until onions are caramelized.
- Combine Parmesan and mozzarella and set aside.
- Roll pizza dough into two circles large enough to cover bottom and sides of two 12" pizza or quiche pans. Spread a tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of each pan, then press dough circles into the pans.
- Spread half of cheese mixture evenly over each crust. Top with half the onions.
- In a large, flat-bottomed wok or Dutch oven, combine washed spinach leaves, garlic, and butter. Sauté just until spinach has wilted. Remove spinach to a fine sieve and press out as much liquid as possible.
- Distribute cooked spinach evenly over each pizza, then sprinkle artichokes evenly over the spinach.
- Spread remaining cheese over each pizza. Bake until crust has browned and cheese is bubbly, about 20 minutes.