Spinach Casserole with Eggs and Cheese
Hard-boiled eggs are a popular addition to Southern casseroles.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. spinach, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a medium baking dish.
- Place spinach in the prepared dish; season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange tomatoes and eggs over spinach.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. Add paprika and remaining salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Add 1 1⁄2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Pour sauce over spinach and eggs. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.