Spinach and Cheese Mini Soufflés
This makes a fairly large amount of cheese soufflé. But that’s okay. It’s a wonderful midnight snack, breakfast, or leftover side dish for another meal later in the week, if it lasts that long. To reheat, spoon a serving onto a plate and zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Serve this with simply prepared game meats.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 2⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup trimmed and chopped fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 8 ramekins with 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 1⁄2 cup butter and whisk in flour to form a paste. Add 1⁄2 cup milk and whisk to blend. Add the remaining milk and whisk while bringing to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Whisk in grated cheese and chopped spinach. Pour into the cooled milk mixture and mix well. Scoop the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the soufflé has puffed and is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.