Spinach Egg Bake
Substitute fresh smoked peppers such as chipotle chilies to give this dish a distinctive flavor.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups cooked ham
- 1 package (10 oz.) chopped spinach
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms
- 1 small white onion
- 1⁄4 cup canned jalapeño peppers
- 3⁄4 lb. Cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups small-curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut the ham into 1-inch pieces. Thaw the spinach and squeeze out the water. Cut the mushrooms into thin slices. Remove the skin from onion and chop into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Drain off the water from the jalapeños. Grate the cheese. Beat the eggs until the whites and yolks are well blended.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well until all ingredients are blended. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.